Karlen Tolkson, M.S. CCC/SLP-LSpeech Language Pathologist
My therapy philosophy is to learn speech and language through PLAY. I love targeting speech goals through thematic units and play tasks. I always want the kids to be excited and ready to learn through play.
Karlen earned her Bachelor of Science degree from Elmhurst College and earned her Master’s degree in Speech-Language Pathology from Saint Xavier University. She completed her clinical fellowship in private practice and elementary schools. Afterward, she worked in Early Intervention and in a diagnostic multi-needs preschool helping children transition into appropriate placements. She is experienced with the Hanen program that helps parents integrate speech and language skills in the home in addition to hosting classes for parents on how to increase vocabulary and language through reading. She spent many hours of continuing education at oral motor placement and feeding courses and loves working with children with oral motor planning (apraxia, Down Syndrome), and feeding difficulties. She received her bilingual endorsement with the state of Illinois in 2012 and practices bilingual speech-language pathology with a passion. She believes in solidifying the foundation of the child’s first language in order to build skills to add English as a second language.
- Bachelor of Science in Communication Sciences and Disorders, Elmhurst College
- Masters of Science in Speech-Language Pathology, Saint Xavier University
- Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology
- License to practice Speech-Language Pathology in Illinois (Type 73)
- Bilingual Endorsement Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
- Early Interventionist Credential, Initial Evaluator Credential, Service Provider and Supervisor for SLP Assistants
- Experience as a Midwestern University graduate student supervisor
- Guest Speaker at Northern Illinois University Introduction to Rehabilitation
- Continuing Education focused oral motor placement evaluation and treatment
- Certified in Hanen Program
- Certified in Talk Tools evaluation and treatment